In Philippines, bay leaves are commonly known to add great tastes to splendid dishes like adobo. Mostly, we see these leaves put in soups and stocks and make absolute taste.
Most of us never thought of the health benefits of this leaf with the exception of just using it to make great food taste.
Knowing the health benefits of this leaf will not only definitely amaze you but also benefit you. The health benefits of this leaf whose botanical name is Laurus nobilis commonly found in the Mediterranean have so many powerful benefits all us can truly enjoy.
- Aides Digestion: Bay leaves help in the removal of waste (urine) toxins from the body. They also do justice to upset stomach and celiac disease.
- Prevention of Cancer: the organic compounds and antioxidants found in bay leaves like magnesium, as well vitamins A and C are essential in the prevention of cancer. Also, eugenol has been proven to have excellent anticancer activity as it destroys so many types of colon cancers.
- Antifungal and Antiseptic properties: Bay leaves are very rich in essential oils such as beta-pinene, myrcene, limonene, eugenol, methyl chivacol and limonene. These natural oils have been suggested by researchers to have excellent antifungal and antiseptic properties. For examples, researchers have shown that eugenol is a very powerful oil which helps to destroy Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that causes meningitis in newborn babies.
- Treatment of Dandruff and Hair Loss: When you soak bay leaves and apply it in your hair, these leaves help you get rid of dandruff.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: The oils found in bay leaves are also proven to relieve muscles and arthritis joint pain.
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress- The chemical (linalool) found in bay leaves lowers the hormones responsible for stress and anxiety.